According to the FTA, the UK is set to benefit from two schemes which aim to vastly improve road connectivity, following years of inadequate infrastructure. The Oxford-Cambridge Expressway and proposed reclassification of an A14 section as a motorway. However, the FTA (representing some 17,000 logistics businesses nationwide) has some concerns that this may not be enough to keep Britain’s roads moving and that the network needs further investment.
The Metropolitan police have added a new tool to their ‘Exchanging Places’ programme – a new 360-degree film which shows how HGV drivers often don’t see cyclists, for example, by failing to properly adjust mirrors. The Met claim that this will “demonstrate how cyclists ought to safely position themselves when near HGVs.”
The HGV industry is crying out for the right people to help satisfy a huge shortage of drivers (estimated to be at least 60,000) and with the skills, determination and ability you will have gained and displayed in service, could make you perfect for the driving industry.
- Wearing for lighter clothes such as T-Shirts and shorts help to stay cool throughout the summer – just make sure management agree first!
- Lucky enough to have air conditioning in your cab? Don’t forget to make the most of it!
- Wearing a hat can help to keep the sun away from your head, as well as allowing you to concentrate better on the road by keeping the sunlight out of your eyes.
- Having a mini fridge can be especially helpful, allowing yo to keep cold water in your vehicle for those long journeys
- Sunglasses can help to keep you cool by blocking those rays, as well as helping you to keep your vision.
- Sun lotion is a must! You don’t want to get burned behind the wheel!
The HGV Driver Shortage Could Get MUCH Worse After Brexit – And Here’s Why…