Before thinking about taking your theory and practical tests, you first need to apply for your provisional license. 

If you are considering becoming a HGV driver – it is best to sort out this part as soon as possible to avoid any further delays to your future career.

First of all, you will need a full driving license, you cannot be a HGV driver without already holding a valid car license – so if you do not have one, you will need to sort this out first.

In order to become a HGV driver, you have to be at least 18 (previously this minimum age was 21, but has been dropped to help younger drivers get into the industry) so if you are not old enough, you will have to wait.

Meet both of these criteria? Great! You will have to complete a couple of forms from the DVLA. The first of these forms is the D2 which is simply the application form with the second form being the D4. This is a little more complicated as this is a medical form which must be completed by a doctor. Arrange an appointment for your doctor to complete the form for you – they may charge you for this service.

Once both forms are complete, you will need to send these to the DVLA for processing. In addition to the forms, you will be required to send in documentation that proves your identity as well as your current driving license and a passport photo. Details of what you need will be provided on the form so make sure you check this and have included everything to avoid possible delays with the processing of your application.

If you have filled out all of the documents correctly, the DVLA aim to have your new provisional license with you within three weeks – however if additional details regarding your health or personal details are required, then this may take longer.

After you have received the license in the post, you will be able to apply to complete your HGV theory license and following on from that, your practical exam.

At HGV Training Network we offer HGV training allowing you to train with our industry experts from over 40 locations across the UK.